The Historic Hill Association

Newport, Rhode Island

A wealth of history
The historic district is the core of the original city of Newport as it was during the years from its founding in 1639 to the American Revolution, when it served as the colonial capital. Surviving buildings date from the last years of the 17th century. The White Horse Tavern has stood on the same site since 1652, with the current building dating to 1673. The Wanton-Lyman-Hazard House, built by at least 1697, is the city's oldest house museum.Most of those early homes were simple clapboard structures in vernacular English styles that the colonists had adapted to the locally available materials.
Wood was also used to build Trinity Church whose tall white is one of the city's most distinctive landmarks.
Stacks Image 485
A view of Trinity Church and Queen Anne Square around 1969.